Believe in Life

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Monday's Report - Left office 19.30

I am certain that everyone should agree that this is a marked improvement from the past 2 weeks.

Since I have informed my family of my new resolution, I shall strive to make it happen. Let's see the time clocked for today!! =)

In other news, I don't know if I will shock anybody by saying this...I attended a session at a certain church in the West last week.

Since the church may have more supporters than I care to offend, I shall simply talk about my sentiments and takeaway from the whole episode.

What I really admire is the ability to get all their supporters geared towards a common faith and belief. And believe me when I say that it is a fervent faith. There were people around me, with eyes tightly closed, arms up in the end, chanting furiously. I know they were chanting in tongue, but it seemed to go like this: 'sha-bi-la, sha-bi-la' in quick succession. And when the speaker said sth +ve, everyone will say 'yes' together. Everyone wasn't shy/ inhibited at all.

There was a mini-concert going on stage, and I felt like I was in some mega-star show at the Indoor Stadium! The songs were catchy and the speakers (the person as well as the technical equipment) resonate with power.

Somehow an individual will get caught in the atmosphere around him/her, and I can only describe as 'electrifying' or 'emotionally-charged'.

Certainly, it was an eye-opener for me. I can't help but compare this with the most efficient and modern temple I can think of, and still I feel that there's a certain gap, which is why it doesn't surprise me that the young are flocking to such churches.

However, perhaps I am getting old. I felt foreign/ alienated from it all. Perhaps I still prefer the soothing nature of temples. Religion imparted through rock-&-roll music may appeal to the young, but not for me. What I am searching for is still the soothing, encompassing, forgiving nature of religion, where I can feel at peace withthin myself, with no external influence of thumping drumbeats.

Or maybe I am stereotyping religion.

(PS: Please don't misunderstand the above passage. It isn't meant to ridicule or belittle anybody or any church. It is with all due respect that I wrote the above.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home